Thursday, December 6, 2007

Thursday Morning, December 6, 2007

Yesterday (I’m am honestly sorry about all of the “yesterdays” but when I get home from work, I just end up eating and konking out) they put Dave in a special chair so he could sit up. Though it was kind of a weird chair, it’s a big step. He was sitting there when a group of managers from the company and I walked in the room.

He immediately knew who they were and jumped right into conversations about business. He congratulated Bill Burko, from our store in Carson, for being the top location in November and then wanted more details on how everything was going.

December is rarely a great month in the RV business with the concentration on the holidays and the cooler weather, so I kept trying to change the subject but that didn’t work well. Thank God for nurses coming in the room to check his vitals. They are more interesting than I am, I found out.

Oh yeah, whatever happened to literary license? My point is that my sister Judy is blond and pretty and my niece Debbie is blond and pretty and it was actually Debbie who was shovelling the food, not Judy. That was pointed out to me yesterday. Since they all look kind of alike to me (and they all sound EXACTLY alike on the phone - you tell me what you would do if someone calls you and says its your favorite sister or niece), I offer no apologies. I'm going to buy them some hair color for Christmas so I can tell them apart easier. I think it would help Dave also.

Dave’s family had a meeting with his team of doctors. They are starting to talk that that soon he will no longer need hospitalization, and will take the next steps (possibly a skilled nursing facility and physical rehab place) on his way back to his home. Hooray! The road will still not be an easy one but at least it’s a road.

Dave has a friend, Dr. Vince Fortanasce, who also came and visited and helped with the translation of what the meeting actually meant. This gentleman is truly a gem, not to mention an expert in the field of Neurology and two other words that I cannot spell or even know what they mean. His visit with Dave was such a kind and helpful act, the entire family is indebted to him. And since none of us can pronounce his last name (some Italian name from Long Island), we just call him Dr. Vince.

We also learned that there were some early signs of this problem. On his recent trip to the Mediterranean with Marla and a big group of friends, he noticed some decline in his eye sight. He thought it was merely age (welcome to the world of the rest of us). It wasn't but it didnt stop him from winning $67 from his good friend Steve Simon playing Gin on the plane coming home. Even though he couldn't distinguish between hearts and diamonds. You won't see me playing wth him anytime soon. That $67 would pay for the hair dye for my sisters.

Dave also had a long talk yesterday with his family members explaining that he knew he might die and that, while he will fight this with all of his strength, that if the Good Lord is ready for him, he is ready for God’s will to be done.

He hopes to continue to live, and love, and watch his grandchildren grow up (and probably annoy his younger brother). But whatever the outcome, God had granted him a great and blessed life with a family he loved, a tremendous group of treasured friends and colleagues, and a business that fulfills the people’s dreams everyday.

At first, we were all saddened and afraid he had lost his will to fight. But we discovered he wanted us to know he was at peace with what ever happened.

In June I had planned an outing to Disneyland with lunch at the very exclusive, very secretive Club 33 with some of my sisters and a friend. That day finally came so I won’t be much in touch with Dave. I have moles on the inside though to get me information so, until tomorrow, have a great day!

15 comments:

Kelly said...

Woo hoo! I'm first today! Kinda reminding me of Paul Cummings! Dave, I'll give you the "brick" so you can stash it to use against Joe!

Glad to hear the good news. And it's even good news to hear that you are at peace with whatever God's will is for you. I think God wants you right where you are. Ok, not the hospital, but here on earth!

Keep the faith, keep fighting and we will keep praying.

Love and prayers,
Kelly Adams

PS, if Joe says tells you that this new road is a yellow brick road and hands you and m&m ... don't listen, especially if he is carrying a little dog.

Lorie Kelly said...

Dearest Dave , Last night was the dinner at Yves'...I told Yves that I was going to bring you some Lemon Tira Misu from the restaurant and he said, 'oh, please, I want to bring Dave lunch and whatever he wants to eat, so ask Dave just what sounds good to him and I will probably be able to bring it next Wednesday !' So --I told him that you would like everything ! Ha ! Just kidding....I will call Marla and ask...or, if you get to hear what my note here says, you tell Marla and she can call me, okay dear friend? Wow ! It is almost like the Cardinal coming to see you...Yves will offer thanks before the meal I am sure, he says the most beautiful and thoughtful prayers.....by the way, in your honor last night before our meal, we offered thanks and prayed for you too. Phil & I and the Simons, Walt and Bobbie and Mike Lamp were all there and of course send their love and good wishes, and you and Marla were sorely missed but we talked (good things) about you so know you were there in spirit !! If the Drs. feel like you are ready for rehab then that I will take as a good sign, the closer to home you are getting, and that usually makes one feel more normal anyway, you know? Altmanland is a beautiful place to live I am certain of that ! Hoping to see you soon and sending love and hugs as always, Lorikins xoxo

Unknown said...

Hi Dave,
We have been reading the messages on the blog……….my gosh you know a lot of people. Guess you must be an alright guy Dave (ha ha)…….even your employees want you back at work and nobody ever wants their boss at work! It was good news to hear your treatment has started……..that just means you are on the road to beating this @#$@. We understand that you are now naming your doctors……..just remember “Disco Dave” these are the same people that prescribe enemas! Tell Joe to keep the messages coming so we all know what is going on…….we didn’t realize that he is such a comedian. Dear friend, you are always on our mind and we are thinking good thoughts for your recovery.
Bye………Steve & Lucette (hugs and kisses from Lucette)

Shana McDonald said...

Dave....

You were my guardian angel 9 1/2 yrs. ago when YOU hired me. I was a struggling single mother making tomato soup from fast food ketchup packets.

In some way you bless everyone you meet. This blog shows you know many but there are people out there that still need to meet you.

Marla-stay strong. My prayers include you and the gang.

May the Cancer weaken, the prayers continue and the battle be won.

Love,
Shana McDonald

Unknown said...

It was so wonderful to see Marla and Dave and Steve yesterday. I am grateful for this daily update - it makes us all feel so intimately connected. Yesterday, Dave made a comment that stuck in my head all afternoon and evening - Dave said that he just wanted to be sure that someone / anyone would learn from his life. I can assure Dave all who have been privileged to walk any distance with Dave along his path have learned to live more fully, love more deeply, laugh a whole lot more often and walk with God a little more closely. Even from the hospital room, Dave continues to teach those powerful lessons. What a guy!! Continued love and prayers,
Pamela Hearn (Craig, too!)

Mark Wracher said...

Hey Dave,
Mark Wracher from FCA here.
Just wanted to let you know that your friends at the Fellowship of Christian Athletes are praying for you and standing with you in these difficult times.
You are such a wonderful friend and we have been so blessed by your friendship and your involvement in our ministry.
Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you during this time.
Stay strong brother!
In Christ's love,
Mark Wracher
FCA Los Angeles

dyann said...

annUncle Dave

It was great to see you last night. Keep up the fight and continue to pull the strength from all of us that love you. We are all here for you. We are happy to hear that they want to move you to a rehab center. That is good news... Remember you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Love,
Chris,Deedee,Alex and Ryan

rdnjo said...

Wow Dave! Your day yesterday was certainly eventful for a guy thats in lock up.

Ardie came home and told me all about the big secret at B.P. And all this time I thought he told me everything.....surprise surprise, he can keep a secret.

It put a smile in my heart to hear that C-Hope is thinking of moving you to rehab, that is really good news. You've always been really up for challanges and I know that this will be no different. You've got what it takes so its a win win
for Little Davey.

You are strong and determined, with God's love and everyone that you have behind you pushing, you will cross that finish line, I just know it.

We pray for you continually, you're on our prayer chain at church and in our hearts throughout the day.

Think of us tomorrow evening....we are going to be singing Christmas Carols along with the O'Neils at some of the retirement centers,(that is if we don't get thrown out since nobody can sing...I really need the Kareoke machine.)
This is suppose to a mission of good will??????

Love, Hugs, Prayers and Blessings,

Lit'l Ardie and JoJovjbadlay

ghiner said...

John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
John 3:1
That is the promis for today, for you my brother in Christ
Hiner, and Judy to.

giantrv said...

Dear Dave,

Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you, your wife, and your family. It is a great comfort to be able to monitor your progress and see that your spirits are high and your will is great.

Sincerely,

Bob Barouti, and the Staff at Giant RV

Danelle Conley said...

Dave,
This letter is from Corey Ruzicka at Wheeler Advertising. He called me yesterday and had some very heart-warming comments about you. I asked him to write his thoughts down and put it on the blog. He didn't know how, so he forwarded it to me to post for him. Here it is......

Dave, I can't begin to tell you how shocked and saddened I was when I heard the news in Louisville.

Having gone through cancer myself a year ago during RVDA, Louisville and Christmas, my thoughts and prayers go out to you, Marla, Joe, Danelle and your entire family.

When I got into the industry in 1981, I read all the stories about you in trade publications, saw you on stage at RVDA, heard about great things from other dealers about you....so when I got to visit your Baldwin Park office and finally meet you in the early 1991, it was an extreme honor. Since then, you have always been so kind to me.

There were a couple things I learned from sitting through four half-day chemo sessions and talking with other cancer patients. You need to stay positive and know you're going to beat it. Since you're one of the most positive people I know, you will beat it. Plus, you have a great family and thousands of people in the RV industry praying for you and ready to help in whatever we can.

I know we will see you at RVDA next September cancer-free!
Corey

Matt Hotchkiss said...

Dave,

This is Matt Hotchkiss with AGI. I just hear about your situation from Danelle. What a blessing that you have a wife that was able to force such a stubborn old dog to go to the doctor :) I recently recovered from cancer myself, even though it was no where close to what you've gone through.

I've only had the opportunity to meet you a couple of times but each time I have you've always given me your undivided attention and made me feel welcome. It's no wonder that every time I hear your name mentioned it's usually followed by kind words about your personality or character (unless Mike Schneider is talking about you ;).

It sounds like you're well on your way to kicking the cancer in the butt and getting back to the helm. Our prayers are with you and your family. Stay positive and strong.

Matt

PS This little stunt won't get your rates any lower :)

Brian said...

Dave,
Gail and I continue to pray for your well-being. Joe has been super in keeping us up to date with your treatment and the humor of your hospital room. All the desert gang, Hardy,Goose, Hilko,Pat,etc are rooting for you to get back out here for some serious golf. Me too, I miss my "Professional Pal". By the way, you owe me $5 for the BC-Virginia Tech game. You had BC. We'll put it on your tab.
Wishing you continued progress and we'll do our best to see you soon.
Love, Gail & Brian

Unknown said...

Hello Dave,
It’s me Louisa Trevino (a.k.a. Clark) I worked at the Carson store with Colleen Thompson in accounting. I received a call from Colleen letting me know you weren’t doing well. I wanted to let you know that you are in my prayers and thoughts every day. I was part of the Altman’s family for 2 years and enjoyed working for your company. In fact everywhere I have been since has worked with the Altman family in some way. I am working with Daktronics now and we are the company who manufactured your Galaxy Marquee signs. My sister Desiree Martinez (worked in the Parts Dept) & sister-in-law Sylvia Diaz (worked in Parts & Service) wanted me to send their love and blessings your way. We all enjoyed the experiences and opportunities your family shared with ours. So from Desiree, Sylvia and I… hurry up and get better so we could go and visit and introduce the new joys in our lives to you. In case you didn’t know Desiree had a little girl in June 07’ her name is Melody Desiree Espinoza and I had a little boy in August 07’ named Antonio Uber Saucedo. Thank you for being such a great inspiration to us.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you,
Louisa, Desiree and Sylvia

Mike Allison said...

Hi Dave:

All of us at WAJ were sorry to hear about your illness and wish you the very best in your recovery. Joe's daily updates remind me of the emails you sent some of us on your RV trip across America. Obviously, the circumstances are very different, but I remember how much I enjoyed reading about your travels and the many friends you saw along the way. I find myself similarly compelled to check on your progress each day and read the accounts of those to whom you mean so much. Joe, thanks for your keeping us all informed. Get well soon! I am planning on seeing you in late March for our annual tax pow wow. I'll have the coffee ready!

All the best,

Mike Allison and the rest of the gang at Weickert Allison Jeter