Sunday, December 16, 2007

Sunday Morning, December 16, 2007

As I have been predicting for days, Dave completed his radiation therapy on Friday. He continues to be concerned about hair loss but I tried to explain that hair is truly over-rated and that he should just be happy to look a little more like me every day. I mean, it could be worse. He could look like Don Imus or Don King. In my own little way I try to bring peace to the lives of so many.

It’s now just a wait-and-see situation.

I also wanted to personally thank anyone who has sent candy or food to Dave. Though I guess it’s a tragedy that some of his family members might sample some of it before he can eat it all, he hasn’t lost his sweet tooth.

I was in his room yesterday and noticed a wicker basket with some cookies. Since they literally were calling my name, I decided to partake.

Now I’m not one to talk trash about nobody, but I noticed a little sticker, like those free return address labels you get in the mail from charities in the hopes that you’ll send a donation, that had Marla’s name and address on it.

Since Marla had left the room to make a phone call (that whole bra thing makes her a little uncomfortable when answering her cell phone around me anymore for fear she might give me “inspiration to put half-truths on the internet”), I decided to look around. After all, Dave was sleeping and being alone in room with stuff in it just INVITES snooping.

Everything that belonged to Dave or her had a sticker on it! Candy boxes, books, DVD’s, her brand new camera we bought so she could take pictures of Dave so we can make fun of him when he’s all better, a plate that held a cake! I was afraid to check his clothing for fear there were stickers on that.

Being the thoughtful considerate person I am, I found her stack of return address labels (My Lord she must be a charitable person), and put them on her purse, a box of Kleenex, his glass of juice, the chair she usually sits in, and the inside of her jacket. I figured I’d be like Santa’s little helper and give her a hand.

Then, because even though I’m bigger than she is, she still scares me, I decided to head out before she got back. I’m a little afraid of gong back today but I will.

Dave still loves all of the messages he gets. Marla has pages of notes she takes on his responses to each. It’s his contact with all of his great friends so thank you.

11 comments:

Dj said...

I enjoyed the homily at our Mass this morning... The Priest noted a blooper that he had seen on a sign while driving recently... The sign read, “Don’t let worry get you down, let the Church help.”

Omaha is sunny and 27 degrees... I had 14 on my gauge at 5 AM... Some reports say that it was 2 Above at dawn... About 4 inches of snow on my grass so mowing is out for today.

Darrell... Peg Morgan Bermel... You are on our prayer list.

Jim Higdon said...

Please let Dave know our whole family is praying for him and for all of you. Comedy never hurts...Friday Michael (6) left a gift for me on the counter. I found a large glass filled with yellow liquid and a nice party umbrella on the rim. There was a note that said: To Dad, From Michael. The inside read: "Urin for you Dad!". It turned out to be food coloring, but once again left me wondering where his inspiration comes from. Y'all hang in there, we'll be thinking of you tonight.

Jimmy

Barb Nicolas said...

Dave: I can't thank your brother, Joe enough for this excellent way for us to keep abreast of your progress. His humor is entertaining also. We are glad to hear the radiation treatments are now in the past. We will be waiting to hear the good news that your enemy is in remission or better yet, gone forever. Now on to full time physical therapy and your return to yourself. Best to you and hi to Marla. Love, DeWayne and Barb...oh, it goes without saying, but we continue our prayers for your recovery.

Anonymous said...

Joe, thanks for the great notes on Dave.

Dave/Marla, Kimberly and I just learned of your condition from Paula. Our prayers and wishes for a quick recovery are with you and your family. I am glad to see notes of progress and encouragement.

Dave, I have a number in mind...... Will you take the bet? A smile means yes.

Ronnie.

marty said...

To all our Altman friends,
We all hope and pray for the best for all, knowing full well that this family has and will do great things together. You are all a great inspiration to us and we're all with you!

Anonymous said...

Dave

You've been in my thoughts and prayers a lot.

You've been a friend and inspiration for 30 years. I always think of you as one of the earliest advocates of the
Go RVing campaign, and as one of the great unifiers in our industry. You're a very special person.

I hope you get back to work soon, as we're going to need you as we approach the next phase of Go RVing.

All of us at RVIA are thinking about you. We missed you at Louisville this year and look forward to having you back with us next year.


Your friend,
Gary LaBella

Anonymous said...

Dave,
You need to get your butt out of Casa Colina before Christmas eve. Or the Altman clan (all 60+ of us) will have to invade Casa Colina and I'm not sure if that is a good idea. We tend to get quite loud and it might disturb the whole city of Pomona. So we are counting on you to be home so we can do our annual thing. Maybe we can get Marla to do some Kareoke and we can tie Joe to a chair so he won't!!
Hugs and Kisses,
Danelle

Monica Jung said...

Hi Dave:

I hope you had a nice weekend. I love reading this blog. It helps our family keep up with you. I can't remember if I told you this, but my little son, David, asked to go visit you again in the hospital. I thought that was so sweet that even 5 year olds know how special you are. He could really tell that you are a very, very dear friend to his Grandpa (Charlie Brown).

Love to you and Marla!

Anonymous said...

It's so great to have this blog! ...but there's just so much i want to say that i need another blog to do so! "Re-reflections on Dave Altman's hospitalization" or "Right back at ya, Davie" or something like that :P

We've all been praying for you very much Dave! Including my students at school. They even ask about you if i don't mention you for a while :D

Your situation reminds me of an elderly consecrated lady, Mrs Mee. She had so much spirit that she hated being "down and out" so she offered the sacrifice (and the pain of course) for various people... it helped her alot and it also helped the people she prayed for because she realized that she could help Christ in his mission to suffer for the sake of others.

I definitely won't stop praying for you! And I can't wait to come up again for a visit, and this time I'll bring my boyfriend with me! I'm sure Beth told you his name is "Jesus" Haha, go figure.

Love you all!

rdnjo said...

Hi Dave and Marla,
So glad to hear that the radiation is complete....now you can continue to move forward and get on home where you belong. We continue to pray for you and Marla and pray that you will gain strength and get home for Christmas,otherwise your room is going to get a little crowded. We love you guys. Ardie and JoJo

Anonymous said...

Dave & Marla,
Our prayers go out to you both. We have had friends who have battled cancer and with God's good grace have survived, others not so lucky. Remember that we are God's soldiers and we are here to do His will whatever that may bring. Always bask in his love and give Him the glory for everything, good or bad, and He will be your comfort. Jim and I are getting married in the Catholic Church on Dec 30 if you both are out by then we would love to see you. God is good. We will have faith along with you for Dave's speedy recovery. God Bless you both.
Jim and Amy Emett