Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Wednesday Morning, November 28, 2007

Today is a big news day. The oncologist just met with Dave and some family members and explained the results of the latest tests. I am not medical expert so my translation may be a bit off (or inadvertently way off) so please be tolerant.

There is significant cancer in Dave’s body, it has spread beyond its point of origin to the lungs and brain but the point of origin is important because that will provide guidance on what course of treatment is most appropriate.

Most information points to the colon as the source of cancer but a colonoscopy is required to verify that. They will be trying to schedule that for tomorrow.

If colon cancer is found, there are different treatments available including chemotherapy. They will probably be starting radiation therapy to treat the cancer that has invaded the brain as well.

The obvious question is “what is the bottom line of all this in terms of Dave’s future?” . It is still unclear and dependant upon the extent of the cancer and his response to treatment. My experience has shown that Dave tends to ignore any prediction on his longevity, and makes the decision himself. It appears he hasn’t changed.

After the oncologist left, I read to Dave the comments that many have posted on the website. I first told him who wrote the comment and the actual thoughts themselves. His faced beamed when he heard of all the people who were keeping him in their thoughts and prayers.

He, of course, explained to me who everyone was, how he knew them, and what nice people they were. He then had the brilliant idea to respond to each one. Through me! Well, that wasn’t going anywhere. I’ve helped write letters with him before and I may be a very loving brother but…

When I explained to him the facts of life with a few sarcastic comments, (me, sarcastic – never!) he wanted me to let everyone know that when he is able to type, that HE will respond. But in the meantime, he wanted everyone to know that he will walk out of the hospital soon, and he will do whatever it takes to beat this.

There have been some inquiries regarding sending Dave flowers, gifts, etc. It goes without saying that nothing is required or expected, but Dave’s physical and medical needs are well in hand. What means more than anything, and is truly a gift of inestimable value, is your prayers and thoughts. His spirits jumped when we read him the comments from this blog and the cards that were sent to him.

The doctors have emphasized that right now rest is his best therapy so visitors are still being restricted. This isn’t easy for Dave as many of you know – the more people around, the happier he is. When these restrictions are removed, we will let you know.

And Marla and the family are all doing fine. This is a difficult time but thankfully, God never gives us crosses to heavy for us to carry.

A side note (Geez, am I gonna add these every day?)
When I arrived this morning, Steven was there but Dave was just being served breakfast. He wasn’t really happy with the hospital fare and we asked him what he wanted. “I’m in the mood for Honey Bunches of Oats” “There’s some at my house, with my black bowl and a touch of sugar.”

In the mood? In the mood? This is going to be a long, long, long recovery on me, I thought. So I quickly called his house and asked if they could bring a box of Honey Bunches of Oats. And his bowl. And a spoon. And some sugar.

Well they did, and his precious sister Judy was preparing it and then he asked about a banana. Sliced. Judy noticed an extra pillow I was eying to see if it would fit over his mouth and nose. She grabbed it before I could, and sent me to the cafeteria to get a banana. And a knife.

I guess it’s good I’m such a loving brother.

11 comments:

Dj said...

Hi Dave... Thinking of you since learning of your illness... We will keep you in our daily prayers here in Omaha... Our girls say that their Mom's prayers are very powerful.

I recommend you work your 'magic' on this too... We saw you perform in Columbus a couple of years ago at the Morgan Cousins Reunion and you were GREAT!

Darrell Bermel... Peg Morgan Bermel

Bill Burko said...

Good Morning Dave,
I know that the best thing that I can do for you is let you know that I and all the employees here at Carson will do everything possible to keep things running smoothly so that you can devote 100% of your time to getting better. We all are praying for your rapid recovery.
Bill

Danelle Conley said...

Dave,
With a brother like Joe, you will be back doing things on your own in no time. I know you have said many times that "God gives us all crosses to bear, and your brother Joe is yours". So please get better soon so the rest of us do not have to bear the "Joe" cross.
Things are going well here at the stores. We're following your plans and will keep them going until you're back at the helm again. You have great people in place, and although your are sorely missed, the team knows what they need to do, and are doing it.
So get well soon.
Hugs and Kisses,
Your favorite Niece.
(shhhhh, I know it's our secret!)

COLLEEN said...

Dave,
You are in my prayers everday. I know you will beat this. You are the strongest man I know. God will listen to all the prayers he is receiving for your recovery. Keep up the positive attitude.

Colleen

Danielle Guerette said...

Dave and Family,

My thoughts and prayers are with you! I hope that in the days to come you will feel God's loving arms wraped around each and every one of you. We all miss you Dave. Get well soon!

Danielle - Colton Service Dept.

patricia wishon said...

All our prayers and love go out to you and your family. Wishing you the best and smooth recovery. We miss your smile around here at the Colton Store.

Pat

Bob Kelley said...

HI Dave,
We are all pulling for you.
We know you can get through this.
Planning to see you on the course in Lake Arrofwhead next summer.
Our prayers are with you.
Love,
Bob and Wanda

RUBY said...

HELLO DAVE
I AM JUST WRITING TO LET YOU KNOW THAT YOU AND YOUR FAMILY ARE IN MY PRAYERS......I NOW YOU WILL BEAT THIS YOU ARE A VERY STRONG MAN.GET WELL SOON WE ALL MISS YOU
W/ LOTS OF LOVE
RUBY SANTOS

Kelly said...

Hi Dave,
Remember the time I called you up and said I needed a hug and a kiss and you said, "Who is this?!!" Oh my! I had dialed you by accident and thought you "my" Dave!

I went to a meeting today at Giant RV and Bob Barouti told me that he had tried to call you. You are in his thoughts and prayers.

As you know, I have fought this beast and became a warrior. If I know a strong warrior, it is you. You have such a zeal for life and all that our God has given to you. I know your family will be a great strength to you but you will still be theirs!!

I told Michelle, if Marla needs me to come over and babysit for grandkids, I'd be happy to sit for them so your kids can be with you. All the Altmans girls have my phone numbers!

I wish you health and strength. Teryn and I will keep you in our daily prayers.

Joe, you know you are a good brother! Keep up the good work.

Much love,
Kelly Adams

ghiner said...

Hi Dave,

This is Wei CHEN, we met in a Thai restaurant with my mom, Gary Hiner and your wife this July 2007 at LA area. I heard it from Gary, sorry for the news... We wish you get well soon, and hope you are back to your home soon -- hey, we have not discussed how much discount you are going to give to us if I decide to buy an RV from you :-)

God bless you.


Sincerely,

LANI said...

Was glad to see you yesterday Sunday. You called out my name when you heard my voice and asked 'how was mexico? that made me feel great, by the way the church in Mexico now knows about Dave thru my rosery that was said for you.
Dave I am glad that my Vons days I did alot of fund raising for City of Hope. It has been awhile since I have been there and they have upgraded their facilities and glad that you are in good hands with their doctors and nurses.
Alofa
Lani