Thursday, January 3, 2008

Thursday Morning, January 3, 2008

The reason for the long delay between entries has been, not only the holidays, but a lack in new information.


Dave has been on a slow road to recovery with little discernible change. It is still a bit too soon to detect the effects of the radiation and Tarsiva therapies so we’ve been encountering a wait-and-see period.

Dave experienced some significant distress in his digestive system and his doctors made some adjustments in his medication. They also ordered a colonoscopy which was completed yesterday morning. Dave wasn’t all that pleased with the prospect of that procedure but endured it nonetheless.

With the Holidays over, our lives and schedules can return to a semblance of normalcy. The Holidays did bring a wealth of visitors to Dave’s bedside including one from his nephew Ryan who got the “traveled the longest distance award” as he came from Shanghai, China to visit.

The Christmas wishes were a very welcome experience for Dave and he, and his family, are very grateful. Dave is also grateful about the USC victory in the Rose Bowl and doesn’t really care much about the impending championship game in New Orleans. Well, he didn’t’ really say that exactly but, being a USC alum myself, I felt his non-verbal communication making that statement.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Big Brother,
Guess what? I'm coming back to bug you again. I wish I could just take away all of your pain and your cancer, but alas, I can't. What I can do is just be there with you for a time and read or pray or whatever you want to do. I can't wait to see you on Saturday.
The boys were glad they were able to see you, no matter how brief - they, too wish they could do more to help.
You are, as always, an inspiration to all.
Love and Kisses from Cold, cold High Point, NC!
XOXO
Judy

Kelly said...

Hi Dave, I read about your loss of appetite and just wanted to say that for me, ice cream sherbet and cool fruits, fruit-cicles were a welcome treat. Obviously, I partook in too many of those and mashed potatoes and now trying to get it all back off!

Here's a fun poem:
'Twas the week after Christmas, and all through the house
Nothing would it me, not even a blouse.

The cookies I'd nibbled, the eggnog I'd taste at the holiday parties had gone to my waist.

When I got on the scales there arose such a number! When I walked to the store (less a walk than a lumber).
I'd remember the marvelous meals I'd prepared; The gravies and sauces and beef nicely rared,
The wine and the rum balls, the bread and the cheese and the way I never said, "No thank you, please."

As I dressed myself in my husband's old shirt And prepared once again to do battle with dirt
I said to myself, as I only can
"You can't spend a winter disguised as a man!"

So away with the last of the sour cream dip, Get rid of the fruit cake, Every cracker and chip!
Every last bit of food that I like must be banished "Till all the
Additional ounces have vanished.
I won't have a cookie - not even a lick. I'll want only to chew on a
Long celery stick.
I won't have hot biscuits, or corn bread, or pie, I'll munch on a carrot And quietly cry.

I'm hungry, I'm lonesome, and life is a bore But isn't that what January is for?
Unable to giggle, no longer a riot.
Happy New Year to all and to all a good diet!

Anonymous said...

What? You mean USC isn't the National Champions! Heck, we gave you Pete Carroll to boost up your program. Thank you New England!